Please note, House of Suntory presents ramenfest 2019 is sold out!
The fifth annual House of Suntory Presents Ramenfest is back! A far cry from what was once known as a cheap, college student pantry staple ramen is currently taking the states by storm with new authentic shops popping up around the country. On Sunday, February 17th, Executive Chef Bill Kim will be inviting chefs from around the city to prepare their culinary interpretations of the classic dish. Twenty chefs will try their hand at ramen and you’ll have the chance to taste them all and vote for your favorite. The event will include a sampling of each ramen and two drink tickets. A portion of the proceeds from the event will benefit Inspiration Kitchens, a non-profit organization that helps people who are affected by homelessness and poverty to improve their lives and increase self-sufficiency through the provision of social services, employment training and placement, and housing.
VIP tickets include: Early access into the festival at 11AM, unlimited ramen tastings, open bar takeover by Bad Hunter, custom ramen bowls brought to you by Crate and Barrel, access to spirit tastings, limited edition Ramenfest 2019 t-shirt, unrestricted access to VIP Lounge, signed copy of Chef Bill Kim’s Korean BBQ Cookbook, and an Urbanbelly gift certificate
General Admission tickets include: Unlimited ramen tastings beginning at 12PM, 2 drink tickets, access to spirit tastings, and an Urbanbelly gift certificate
*Please note, children under the age of 5 are admitted with no ticket required. If your child is over the age of 5, they will need to have a ticket in their name.
- Phil Vettel: Chicago Tribune
- Dennis Lee: Serious Eats, The A.V. Club, Thrillist, The Takeout
- Morgan Olsen: Time Out Chicago
- Amanda Puck: Mariano’s
Pop-up Dinner Series: As we gear up for the fifth annual House of Suntory Presents Ramenfest on Feb. 17, ramen fans whose love of noodles can’t be contained to a single day will be able to get their fix via a pop-up dinner series at the Wicker Park restaurant. Starting Thursday, Jan. 31, guests can enjoy one-day-only specials from Ramenfest guest chefs who will join Chef Bill Kim in the kitchen at 1542 N. Damen Ave. Each pop-up begins at 6 p.m. and runs until supplies last. The schedule and ramen offerings are as follows:
- Thursday, Jan. 31: Jesse Valenciana of Goose Island and Jacob Sembrano of Cruz Blanca: “Somewhere Between Heaven & Hell” combines beer-infused broth and coffee-rubbed pork belly into one spicy-sweet bowl that’s perfectly paired with local brews.
- Thursday, Feb. 7: Rick Ortiz, Antique Taco: “It’s Nacho Ramen” has a tortilla broth base rounded out by spicy shishitos, scallions and queso crumbs.
- Thursday, Feb. 28: Giuseppe Tentori, GT Prime: “Rye-men” is chock full of prime rib pastrami, cabbage and caraway.
- Thursday, March 7: Christine Cikowski and Joshua Kulp, Honey Butter Fried Chicken: The Southern-tinged “HBFC Ramen” features pimento cheese dashi, egg noodles, candied jalapenos and, of course, fried chicken.